Wednesday, August 26, 2009

C'è internet!

I finally have internet in this apartment, oh glory of all glories. I had no idea I was such an internet whore, but it seems whenever I leave the country, the internet becomes my umbilical cord to my life-as-I-know-it. Which consists of, obviously, all you people that I love. And even those I don't (that means you Mary).

Yesterday I moved in to my new apartment around 3 o' clock. My other roommates did not arrive until 6, and for a while during my wait, I feared that I was going to be living here all alone. No worries, they showed up. My apartment is in the very heart of Firenze, a 5 minute walk from il Duomo and a 10 minute walk from the frenata dell'autobus where I catch the bus to campus (also unbelievable). I am living in an NYU-leased apartment, meaning it is NOT off-campus housing but rather, an NYU sublet. There is AC in my room, though not in the other (I'm living with 3 other girls--2 of us per room), beautiful exposed brick walls, a cute kitchen, a washing machine, clothing lines outside the window for drying laundry, and plenty of sunlight. Our building is super old and we are on the third and topmost floor--there are only 3 rooms in this entire building--of a walk-up.

Walking from my apartment, Borgo degli Albizi 3, to the Duomo


Outside Villa Ullivi at La Pietra, NYU's campus

Our neighborhood is great too, very young and lively, with an absolutely amazing restaurant called Natalino right below us and an Irish pub that I don't plan on frequenting across the street. The old Italian man who dropped me off yesterday also told me there are many heroin addicts nearby. Great. Haven't seen any yet though.

Pear-filled pasta with gorgonzola cream sauce at Natalino, as amazing as it sounds

Orientation was today, continuing tomorrow and Friday. Then classes start on the 31st. Since this is a leased apartment, we didn't have internet so we spent a good 4 hours researching different companies this afternoon and FINALLY purchased internet for 39 euro a month, plus a 38 euro installation fee and a 30 euro refundable deposit. I bought my cell phone from the same man, who I thought until today was scamming us, but have decided he is alright. I think I've made it clear that if he fucks with me, I will come at him ATL style. Y'all know what that means, suckas.

On another note, I find myself already becoming comfortable with my Italian, asking questions (at the risk of making an ass out of myself) freely and without feeling self-conscious. I also am drinking lots of delicious vino--all types, I don't discriminate. Mm mm boy. Che cosa bella!

Yesterday I also got to meet up with Alex, and it was a breath of fresh air to see a familiar face. For a brief moment, I found myself frustrated with having to revert back to the freshman-esque unfamiliarity with everyone, annoyed knowing that I already had friends I loved back home and didn't want to bother making new ones. Thankfully, I came to my senses. My roommates are nice and we've been hanging out some, and I'm excited for classes to start--to both jumpstart my social life and give me some sort of structure to my days.

Carousel and street performers in la Piazza de la Republica

Speaking of new friends, yesterday as Alex and I were walking around at night, trying to find a place to sit down over a drink and talk, I spotted none other than banana-pants Magoo! WEARING THE SAME BANANA PANTS! I hope he is like Doug and has a closet full of those pants. Anyway, though I do think he's a good guy, I didn't feel like being dragged out to the bar he was going to so Al and I spent some time alone at a cafe next to my apartment where I think the waitress hates me.

Okay, it has taken me 2 hours to upload pictures on this damn connection and the rowdy bar downstairs is dead silent, apart from the noise of departing Vespas. Before I go, a few things:
1) My Skype name is naminyu. Add me motherfuckers!
2) I also have a cell number you can call, so let me know if you miss my melodious voice and I'll give it to you.
3) Comment on this blog! I am not feeling the love.
4) Apartment pictures to come.

Buonanotte,
Nami

1 comment:

  1. bring me back vino! i would prefer french vino (maybe from cahors?) but any vino will do, which reminds me of the line from the UK office when the boss says, "el vino did flow" i am going to use that more and more in everyday conversation now...(you should too!)

    miss you!

    ReplyDelete